The Writing Process- To be Afraid?

 Has anyone ever told you that the pen is mightier than the sword? Well, I am not sure how that might hold up in a battle, I usually buy the cheap ball-point pens myself, but there is truth in the saying. 

Perhaps the truth comes in the fact that one could always write the truth. And to write truth is to show truth, bringing it to the masses, and there lies the potential issue for those opposed to the truth for whatever reason. 

Writing however is not easy, even if it is the truth, and not a mode of fiction! I personally start by thinking of a great idea and then never proceeding to finish it. This is not entirely true of course, I have published several books and am working on others, but it certainly feels like that.

The difference between doing and believing is the act of believing one can enough to do. Somewhere along the line, days even, we loose the ability to believe that we can. Little children can believe they can do anything and everything, even if they physically cannot. Adults believe they cannot do anything, even if they physically can. The confidence in one's self is necessary to starting anything. Like it was mentioned in Spandel's "Rights of Every Writer," "we wear masks for success, all of us" (Spandel 18). 

 But knowing your goal, setting a clear one, and making time to reach such a goal are all vital for success. Once you have belief in yourself, there is nothing saying you cannot direct your abilities to a mode of productivity. Upon doing this, reevaluate your goals as the writing continues. Shall you add more or less time to accomplish your goal? Is there a date orientated project, or is it more of an any time type of piece? In Flower's article "Cognitive Process Theory of Writing," it was mentioned that "In process he generates yet another level of sub goals" (Flower et. Al 385), and by doing so, more of a refined piece. This is the ability to look once more, and to see that in which one did not deem worth seeing before. The act of working again on such goals is revision. 



To sum it up,

1. Have Confidence

2.Set Goals

3. Reevaluate and Revise work and goals. 

True this might be applicable for most things, but for writing and for me, this works. 





Comments

  1. I really liked what you wrote and how you referenced the readings. The way you write motivates one to write and accomplish their goals, as you've stated. - Jalousy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa! I love your opening line here - your voice is so strong in your writing!! I definitely agree that having confidence is one of the biggest factors in writing as well as a multitude of other aspects of life. Your quotes from the reading really back up all of your points :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you organized this post, it really encourages writers to trust in the process and have confidence in whatever they create. I love that you put have confidence first, that sets the tone for the rest of your writing, so you can only move forward after you've begun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on having some work published! My mom and I wrote and illustrated a series of children's books but couldn't find a publisher who didn't want to change everything about them :( so to me, that's actually quite an accomplishment for you
    -Krista

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment